Thursday, April 15, 2010

All Hail Sir David!

What a day! I have to catalog this day..I'm a fan of firsts, first sale to a new country, first sale of the full collection, first boutique to stock us - basically things that I deem newsworthy in the life and times of LadyUmbrella ladies t-shirts. Today proved to be another one of those much sought after firsts...

As usual it was a busy day in LUHQ as we were working on our new designs (oh, I said it! - coming soon, ole), networking with fine people and had a nice number of orders (thank you!) to pack..We launched on the 20th of January but today is the first time that every order we received contained a common design. We had lots of orders for 2 t-shirts and single t-shirts but every order today contained, you guessed it, LadyUmbrella is Friends with Sir David Attenborough - all hail Sir David. Perhaps a lot of folks came across the great review it got a while back from the awesome Loving this Tee blog - I guess I'll never know but a bit of mystery never bothered me ;)

So this is Sir Davids moment in the limelight and I'd like to tell you a bit about it. You may or may not know that each of our designs has a story that goes along with, for Sir David it reads:

"Both an environmentalist and conservationist LadyUmbrella is always trying to help the planet. This scene portrays LadyUmbrella raising awareness about the melting ice caps by scoping out the penguins three; Pat, Richie and P..."

As a youth (this is where it gets juicy so press the RT button hehe) I watched a lot of nature tv shows so naturally (like that huh?) I ended up watching and learning lots from Sir David Attenborough. His ability to give such detailed information about animals in, at times, compromising and dangerous situations with his trademark style and delivery was astounding. The thing that I learned most though I think from watching his shows is the ability to observe. The reason he was able to place his life in jeopardy is because he was alert, he was observing, looking for signals or signs of danger and threat and so was able to get some of the remarkable footage that he got.

Our "t-shirts tale" above is what came to my mind when I first saw the design Elena had done. We know it's not going to save the world but it is our tribute to a really great man and if some people read the story and think a little about conservation and helping our environment or make a positive change then tres bien. For those of you hungry for LadyUmbrella trivia the penguins three or so named because, well, it rhymes. On a more meaningful level though they are also 3 old skool (with a k) amigos of mine that I had the pleasure of sharing a stage with for a few years. In a former life I was the singer and guitar player in a band called Made in Taiwan with Pat being the lead guitar player, Richie the bass player and P the beat meister - some great times..

But, back to present times and I've crunched some numbers. Our online t-shirt shop has been live for 80 days and 80 nights - just about enough time to travel around the world...

And on that note, I bid you adieu wherever you are in the world, hope you enjoyed the tidbits of trivia (really, I do.. would love to hear what you think, leave a comment and let me know) and stay happy...



P.S. the second picture, with the typewriter, is our t-shirt on the set of the upcoming British movie Booked Out which is due for release later this year - pretty cool huh?


Bookmark and Share

No comments: